SRCDS Steam group

Where does srcds_run live? Trying to setup game l4d_full
I'm having problems finding srcds_run.

I followed the FAQ at http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?subaction=showfull&id=1098643920&archive= and modified it to install left4dead.

I completed step 1, make the srcds_1 dir, getting the bin file and running it. Then running ./steam which updated successfully. After that I ran
---------
tynin@ubuntu:/srcds_l$ ./steam -command update -game "l4d_full" -dir .
---------

It downloaded everything successfully as when I run the command again it returns the following.
---------
tynin@ubuntu:/srcds_l$ ./steam -command update -game "l4d_full" -dir .
Checking bootstrapper version ...
Updating Installation
Checking/Installing 'Left 4 Dead base' version 0

HLDS installation up to date

---------

However I cannot find srcds_run. The FAQ doesn't specify what dir it should exist it, just that it should be in your present dir (hence the ./ preceding the srcds_run)... I ran a find / -name srscds_run and it did not find the file.

What am I doing wrong? Or will this file get released once the game goes live in 1 hour and I just need to run another update then?

For my 2nd question, where should I place the server.cfg file I've created?

Thanks for the help, I'm a Source server newbie.

edit: bad form not to include some info on what I'm running. Ubuntu 8.10 server.
uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.27-7-server #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 07:37:55 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
well it should be in the same location it was for the demo. in the l4d folder above what you specified as the directory. so my ./steam -dir is '/home/hlds' and my srcds_run was located at: /home/hlds/l4d_demo/srcds_run

I think Valve releases games during their business hours usually (8-5 PST). So if there's a problem they can fix it during normal work hours. I was wondering if the server was released early or not...I guess this kind of answers my questions. I think you're on to something with them releasing the run binaries as updates once the retail game is out too.

edit: Actually scratch that, they did release it at midnight. Valve, you fucking rule.
Smile 
Yeah I have mad love for Valve, a midnight release kicks much ass Smile I am running another update on it now to see if the srcds_run file appears.

So, for my 2nd question, where do I put the server.cfg file?

Thanks a bunch!

edit: a 2nd update after midnight did provide me with the srcds_run file. But it doesn't want to load the server. See my post below.
OK, so the game is finally released, I updated it and put together a simple script to call to keep it updated. In case you are interested:
-------
#!/bin/sh
echo "Updating Left 4 Dead..."
sleep 1
/srcds_l/steam -command update -game "left4dead" -dir /srcds_l

-------

However, I cannot get the server to actually load. I've tried running the following commands, both without success.
-------
tynin@ubuntu:~$ /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run -console -game "left4dead" -tickrate 100 +fps_max 600 +maxplayers 8 -port 27015 +exec server.cfg
Invalid game type 'left4dead' sepecified.
Tue Nov 18 02:53:38 EST 2008: Server Failed

and

tynin@ubuntu:~$ /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run -console -game "l4d_full" -tickrate 100 +fps_max 600 +maxplayers 8 -port 27015 +exec server.cfg
Invalid game type 'l4d_full' sepecified.
Tue Nov 18 02:54:37 EST 2008: Server Failed

-------

I've even tried a more mundane approach and just ran the following, still failed:
-------
tynin@ubuntu:~$ /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run -game "left4dead"
Invalid game type 'left4dead' sepecified.
Tue Nov 18 02:56:35 EST 2008: Server Failed

and

tynin@ubuntu:~$ /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run -game "l4d_full"
Invalid game type 'l4d_full' sepecified.
Tue Nov 18 02:57:28 EST 2008: Server Failed

-------

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for all the help!
what do you get when you run this:
Code:
grep -i 'left4dead' /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run

'left4dead' is the correct game type.
injate Wrote:what do you get when you run this:
Code:
grep -i 'left4dead' /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run

'left4dead' is the correct game type.

Thanks for your help. I just got the server to load... but I have to execute it from the /srcds_l/l4d/ directory. (so if I cd /srcds_l/l4d; ./srcds_run <arg> it works. But if I try to load it by /srcds_l/l4d/srcds_run <arg> it fails saying left4dead is an invalid gametype). I cannot just call it using the full path... not sure why that would be, but that is fine I guess.

Now I just need to learn the commands to admin the dang thing.

Thanks for you help!