SRCDS Steam group

Need an advice about few servers on 4 cores machine hosting.
Hi everybody. I've a few questions about servers. After hosting them for a few years on different machines, I finally got a dedicated server.
It's 2x2x3.2Ghz machine.

I want to hold at least 4 servers, probably more, as it will include mix servers too. Now I'm thinking, how should I do it? How should i specify the thread, on which the server will run?

Also I'm having a problem (using Ubuntu 10x32): ./hldsupdatetool.bin tells me, that the file isn't there, while it is there, even chmoded... I should figure this out by myself though.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to ask, how to make servers 1000FPS, and if it's wort it. My servers will be around 15-30 slots.
1 server per core is always the optimal situation, typically you can run more, but that depends on the CPU. the GHz alone does not say anything about it's speed, so post the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" please...

I strongly recommend against running srcds and hlds on the same machine. That creates virtually always problems. On the other hand mixing different mods based on the same engine (e.g. css and dods) does not present a problem.

the orangebox games (css, dods, tf2 etc.) shall run with fps equal the tickrate. all other srcds games (e.g. hl2mp & mods) and all hlds games (cs 1.6) should run with 1000 fps (approximately -> 900 fps is as good as well!).

if hldsupdatetool does not run, I suspect you are on 64 bit (which is good for at least srcds-based games) and did not install the 32 bit compatibility libraries. I don't remember the name of the package, sorry...
http://www.fpsmeter.org
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Optimization_Guide (Linux Kernel HOWTO!)
Do not ask technical questions via PM!
processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 37
model name : Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1197.000
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 2
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 5
initial apicid : 5
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm c onstant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf _lm arat tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 6399.85
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

3 more of these, starting from CPU 0...

As for system, I see, that you're online now, so it would be great, if you would give me an advice here: http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/16076.
And I'm going to run orangebox games, just maybe planning on CS 1.6, but I don't even have the game bought, which means I couldn't play, which means I couldn't administrate it well.

Is there any... additional configuration to make the quality of the servers better, as FPS can't be configured? I mean, not in .cfg file.
hm, I don't actually have a clue how good those i3 cpus are for game hosting... most people having a cpu of that generation use at least an i5... I think you will have to try it out... I would start with few servers only and increase until you the quality starts decreasing.

fps can be limited using fps_max. always use a limit slightly higher than the fps you want. for css I recommend using fps_max 70, so the server runs with 66 fps. higher fps only (!) increase the cpu load and thus actually decrease the quality (if something changes at all).

nevertheless some system optimizations might help. see my signature for a howto.
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Optimization_Guide (Linux Kernel HOWTO!)
I'm interested, why is your signature tells how to make a 1000 FPS server, and you're saying, that I should limit it to 70?
Also a question: how do I specify, which core to use? Or it takes it automatically, not like Windows?

Information: I measured the quality of my server with your FPS meter, it was 100% with ~860-880 FPS (on different servers). Server was empty though, I will redo it, when the server have players.
Measured it 2 times for the whole test from your signature. It had around 10-20 players and around 12-15 lag spikes both times. (measured 2 times)
Lag Spike - Fps drop to 10-15, if fps_max is set to 70. If not - to ~60-70.
Same happens, when there's only 1 server on, and when there's 4 servers on. Only 1 of them has players though. CPU usage doesn't seem to go up more than 1.2-1.4, so my guess is that, I need to configure something, as the PC has ton of rams and a nice HDD, nice internet too.

I've also checked your guide. Many new versions of the Kernel has been released, I'm wondering, which Kernel should I install? Currently 2.6.32-28-server this is installed.
(02-02-2011, 08:27 PM)newn Wrote:  I'm interested, why is your signature tells how to make a 1000 FPS server, and you're saying, that I should limit it to 70?
because the howto is out-of-date, and I don't find the time to update it...

Quote:Also a question: how do I specify, which core to use? Or it takes it automatically, not like Windows?
you can use taskset to do this, but I would try without first. that is described in the "playing around" section of the howto.

Quote:Information: I measured the quality of my server with your FPS meter, it was 100% with ~860-880 FPS (on different servers). Server was empty though, I will redo it, when the server have players.
Measured it 2 times for the whole test from your signature. It had around 10-20 players and around 12-15 lag spikes both times. (measured 2 times)
Lag Spike - Fps drop to 10-15, if fps_max is set to 70. If not - to ~60-70.
ok what conclusion do you derive? be careful: if you use ~1000 fps, most frames do not actually have influence on the server quality, as only every 15th frame is used for actual calculations (all other 14 frames in between do nothing useful). unfortunately the fps-meter does not know whether the frame was a "real" one or not. if you have e.g. 500 data points in the measurement, only 33 of them have a meaning for the game play at 1000 fps. and also only those 33 frames do real calculations which take time and eventually lead to a fps drop... it's more difficult to see those drops if your server runs at 1000 fps than if it runs at 66 fps! so please don't jump to the conclusion that 1000 fps is better as the drops are still above the tickrate. that's not true, 1000 fps simply prevents you from seeing the same drops you saw at 66 fps.

Quote:Same happens, when there's only 1 server on, and when there's 4 servers on.
of course, as each server cannot use more than 1 cpu. so until you have one server per cpu you won't notice any performance degradation...

Quote:Only 1 of them has players though. CPU usage doesn't seem to go up more than 1.2-1.4, so my guess is that, I need to configure something, as the PC has ton of rams and a nice HDD, nice internet too.
don't look at the cpu usage. the OS cannot measure it reliable for fundamental reasons. it's basically a random number and has little to do with reality.

Quote:I've also checked your guide. Many new versions of the Kernel has been released, I'm wondering, which Kernel should I install? Currently 2.6.32-28-server this is installed.
yes, my howto is out-dated, but most of the stuff didn't change. use a recent kernel, maybe the most recent ZEN patches. the fundamental settings are still the same... and also important is setting the scheduling ("resched.sh" in my howto).
default 0
timeout 1

title Debian GNU/Linux, RT Kernel
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.8-rt16 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26.8-rt16

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24.2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.2 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24.2

Did everything, except this part... There's no such values. :/ And no file at all. Only grub.cfg.
then you probably have grub2. try running update-grub. it will list all kernels it can find. if the one you want to boot is not the first, run "grub-set-default <number>" and replace <number> with the number of the kernel in that list, counting from 0 (!).

I hope that's right, I myself do not have grub2...
Made it work, but that made my PC not to work. KWM console had no controller access and hosting company asks for money, if I want their help, which means, they can only reinstall the kernel.
You can change/install/remove the kernels as well, if you have root access.
Slå den med jeres fiberforbindelser...

[Image: 1308107839.png]
Well, I have KWM access, but it seems, that it's broken and they don't want to do anything without additional payment, even though KWM is their fault. I wrote an email to them... They answer every few hours, so the answer should be tomorrow or Monday...
I'll let you know, how it goes, but now I'd like to rule out what might've caused this panic crash in the first place:

I compiled the ZEN kernel, 2.6.36. Zen patch - REM 2, or how it's called... The second version of 36's.
I've made the system to boot from it, and it as in a panic state, when I accessed it trough the KWM console.

What could be the problem? I configured only the things, that was told to configure in the tutorial in beharteetwas's signature.
Thanks.
Hey.. I have been thinking of something.. Have you tried to turn off acpi (or apci, cant remember. Smile)
Slå den med jeres fiberforbindelser...

[Image: 1308107839.png]
(02-06-2011, 05:55 AM)lol554 Wrote:  Hey.. I have been thinking of something.. Have you tried to turn off acpi (or apci, cant remember. Smile)

you beat me to it
(02-06-2011, 05:55 AM)lol554 Wrote:  Hey.. I have been thinking of something.. Have you tried to turn off acpi (or apci, cant remember. Smile)

Ahh damn, he beat me too it too, lets post about it Big Grin
Looking for a game server? Visit fullfrag.com and pick one up as low as $2.50 / mo!
The KVM is their problem, it isn't connected properly, which means... 4 days of server offline, because I tried to compile the kernel and they couldn't make the KVM work...
I'm thinking, how could I make sure, that the kernel will work next time? ZEN patch is supposed to help with server's performance after all.