SRCDS Steam group

Which DS is better for multiple servers(or VDS)? More info inside.
Hi everyone. I'd like to ask, which DS would be better for multiple CS:S/TF2 servers?

DS: Intel Pentium 4, 3.73 GHz, 1 core.
DS: Intel Pentium D, 2.6GHz, 1 core.
VDS: 300% i7 CPU, i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz, though it writes in some page, this: cpu MHz : 2226.468. (some kind of machine information page)
VDS with 3 cores, X3460 @ 2.8GHz
Those all run on 100Mbps.

Compare these 4, and then compare the chosen one to this one (since this is another company and lesser internet connection):
Xeon X3220 4x2.4GHz,
20Mbps,
Aspen Hill platform,
No hotswap technology.

Slots would vary from 22 to 32. (i.e. one server would have 20 slots, another 30, another 25... And I'd like to host as many servers, as possible, with good quality (no lag even on heavy maps). And I'm not using the server download function, I'm using fastdownload instead, if that makes any difference.)

P.S. I'm really not sure about the difference between a VDS and VPS. I know, that hosting a game server on a VPS is a bad idea though.
Hm, I think, I get, what is a VDS, as I gave it some thought. I wouldn't be able to modify the server configuration. But would I need to, to run a nice server?
The CPU with most cores would be the best one in your case, as you are going to host several servers. 300% i7 CPU does not tell a lot, whats the clock speed?
Slå den med jeres fiberforbindelser...

[Image: 1308107839.png]
It's i7 920 @ 2.67GHz.

It writes this on a given page though: cpu MHz : 2226.468. It's some kind of... information page about the machine or something. It's closed now. They just showed me.

One more possibility: VDS with 3 cores, X3460 @ 2.8GHz.

P.S. I'm not sure about this, but won't a VDS'es FPS be jumping like crazy, like with a VPS?
VPS(VDS) has never, and will never be the most optimal system to host applikations on, but some of them are fine for gamehosting. Always keep in mind that you will be using shared resources, so you can experience that your suddenly lags you to hell and you can do nothing about it. A Xeon X3460 is good (i have a DS with the X3450).

A way you can optimize your system for srcds is compiling your own kernel. I don't know if it's possible at your provider, some companies denies their customers to do this.

Hm. So the VDS would be best you think? What about the random lags?

P.S. asked about the DS, they won't let me to compile my own kernel anyway.
I have been running many servers on a X3210, so i would say that i does the job fine. Also, 20 Mbps up and down should be enough for you. I would recommend the DS if you want to be sure to have the maximum performance.

Well, I was talking to the guy right now, so he said, that we might cut a deal for more traffic.
Can I ask how many slots your servers were at maximum with the X3210?
Also, they are offering me this: Intel® Core™ i3-550, 2x2x3.2Ghz. As I understand, it's 4 cores too, 2 CPU, with 2 cores each, so It would be the same, except it's more powerful, as I understand it.
I hosted 3 20 slots and a single 32 slots.

That's nice, if the 32 slots wasn't 33 tickrate. What can you tell me about the i3 CPU? Would it be able to work alright?
It was 66 tick and mostly stable. It were a Zombie-server. The i3 would work, but i still prefer a quadcore, as you will only have 2 cores and then you will have to assign 2 gameservers to each core, which could cause unstability.

Okay, thanks for your help, I will try to get the quad core then. :-)
(01-06-2011, 02:00 AM)newn Wrote:  Okay, thanks for your help, I will try to get the quad core then. :-)

Great one, just post if you need any help with it. :-)