SRCDS Steam group

Cannot pass 500 fps? And what about some 100tr after the update?
Hi everyone. My server's running on a Xeon CPU and it cannot go past 500 FPS. I've that command +fps_max 0 at my startup console...

And about those tickrates... Isn't that possible in any ANY way to make it back to 100? It's good for noobs, kids and newbies to play with 66 tickrate, because they can hit everyone to head just by clicking and holding while running around their mouse button, as for good players, who used to shoot enemies in a few bullets directly into the head, it is not very nice...

And don't call me a whiner, because all other features i discovered while playing with BOTS for a few minutes, i liked.
you need a newer kernel probably. check the howto linked in my signature.

regarding the tickrate: there are ways to switch it back, but I wouldn't do this. those ways are highly inofficial, nobody knows what actually happanes and so it will be forbidden in any league. the difference between tick 66 and tick 100 is only small and it's only a question of familiarization. (and no, I am not a noob.)
http://www.fpsmeter.org
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Optimization_Guide (Linux Kernel HOWTO!)
Do not ask technical questions via PM!
Changing the tickrate could lead to a lot of errors/bugs... Things will go faster, be more buggy and so on.. I dont know why many people really focus so much on 100 tickrate.. 66 is working really fine, and after the new update, CS:S hitboxes has really got better!

Also, it would be good with
Slå den med jeres fiberforbindelser...

[Image: 1308107839.png]
Thanks for info. But for the kernel thing... I get this thing at the end of command:

So this message i get after like 15 minutes:

Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.37295
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd kernel-2.6.33.5rt23
+ rm -rf /var/tmp/kernel-2.6.33.5rt23-root
+ exit 0
rm ../kernel-2.6.33.5rt23.tar.gz
error: open of /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/kernel-2.6.33.5rt23-1.x86_64.rpm failed: No such file or directory

And there is no grub thing in boot directory... Only two files: system.map and vmlinuz.

I'm using CentOS 5.
are you running on a vserver? or maybe your boot directory needs to be mounted first (try mount /boot)...
http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.php/EN:Linux_Optimization_Guide (Linux Kernel HOWTO!)
mount: can't find /boot in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I'm connected trough putty to a dedicated server i bought and paying each month. You can control it trough the website too, like reinstall os, etc. And it is called "Dedicated server" when you pay.

And as for tickrate... Well, nobody can bunnyhop anymore and the shooting's very strange at 66 compared to 100. At least for me and some my server's players (good players). That's why i wanted to revert it.

Currently running this kernel: 2.6.18-194.3.1.iv.028stab069.6.

And if we get this work, then what about the version? Looking at the file to find anything useful, i noticed, that it says, that some 26 edition is the best. I've downloaded patch-2.6.33.5-rt23.gz edition. Will the 26 version really better?
I am not sure but the kernel version looks like a vserver kernel. ask your hoster whether you are running on a vserver or on your own box. vservers are not suited to run high quality game servers... and you cannot switch the kernel of a vserver.

I don't know if 2.6.26 is still better, as I cannot run that version anymore. (must be some incompatibility in the network driver after a BIOS upgrade or so, it crashed twice the whole network of my ISP :-D) Just try it out...

ps: only noobs bunnyhop Toungue in (not only) my opinion that is bug using. shooting isn't any difference than with the old version and tick 100. during beta time I switch several times directly between the tick66 beta version and the tick100 old version. no difference. maybe you have set your cl_interp value too low? watch out for a colored lerp value in your net_graph, that means it's too low.
Well, lero value is 100.0 always.

As for the vserver/non-vserver... I will ask monday, right now they are not working, it's sunday. :/ Although this means i still can give you a few questions before i ask:

isn't it's possible to configure already installed kernel somehow? Absolutely no way to do that?

P.S. other gameservers are running on this hosting ~perfect servers... And i'm gonna write them a mail instantly.
(06-27-2010, 09:16 PM)newn Wrote:  Well, lero value is 100.0 always.

As for the vserver/non-vserver... I will ask monday, right now they are not working, it's sunday. :/ Although this means i still can give you a few questions before i ask:

isn't it's possible to configure already installed kernel somehow? Absolutely no way to do that?

P.S. other gameservers are running on this hosting ~perfect servers... And i'm gonna write them a mail instantly.

i belive its a cloud server kernel
Okay, i got an answer from them. They said it is a dedicated server, but virtual. So yes, it is a VDS. Hovewer, this is written DEEP into the website, no links given nowhere to that place, except from 'help' section, there you should go if you don't understand something. And they've said, that there is no way to configure it. So i guess there is no way to make my server 1000 FPS then. Since this thread's name is different and main question is different and i want multiple opinions, i will create another thread with related question. If this violates any moderator's thinking, please move the post and merge threads. Thank you and thanks for helping me.
(06-28-2010, 06:49 AM)newn Wrote:  Okay, i got an answer from them. They said it is a dedicated server, but virtual. So yes, it is a VDS. Hovewer, this is written DEEP into the website, no links given nowhere to that place, except from 'help' section, there you should go if you don't understand something. And they've said, that there is no way to configure it. So i guess there is no way to make my server 1000 FPS then. Since this thread's name is different and main question is different and i want multiple opinions, i will create another thread with related question. If this violates any moderator's thinking, please move the post and merge threads. Thank you and thanks for helping me.

I suppose you will get some root access. If you get that, i dont see how you wouldn't be able to tweak the server Smile
Slå den med jeres fiberforbindelser...

[Image: 1308107839.png]
have you tried BEs fps lib? mabye you can get some more fps if you use it.
Interactive web based config creator for CS, CSS, TF2 and DODS
Creates server and client configs in an explained dialog.

You`ll also find precompiled debian gameserver kernels for download
1. you cannot change the kernel of a VPS even will full root access to the VPS, because the kernel is supplied from outside and needs to be modified for the VPS software used (at least for those VPS systems providers usually use).

2. even if you could change the kernel you cannot change the behaviour of the VPS system. it will always interfere with the scheduling as it must share the CPU between the VPS and the host system (even if there is no other VPS on the same hardware). that means you might encounter some limit which cannot be changed by any means. I don't know if you are already at that limit, or if you can improve the situation somehow. But you will never be able to reach the same quality as with a real root.
Terror, i will try that script, after i get my server full and use a fpsmeter on the server. Thanks for the tip. Smile

As for general chat: well, what you gonna do, i already paid a lot of my money and got a good deal, i would have to pay twice as much, if i would have to take another hosting. Thanks for the tips and help. I will post again, when i get that thing done with full server, how it went.